But by the time you read this he will have even less time than that to get strangers to pledge $2,250 for his new project.
His new live stand-up comedy CD and DVD called “Cats Made of Rabbits” is a project that will only be funded if he raises that much money before the “expiration date.”
But back in the day, before this stand-up comedian, from Sacramento, California was filming a comedy DVD, he found his love for comedy when he worked as a promoter for the Spike and Mike’s Festival of Animation.
“Mike noticed that I always watched him really carefully when he was MC’ing the shows and so he just shoved me on stage one night and I did his material,” Jensen explained over the phone. “I didn’t do my own material. But I just fell in love with it. I kept doing it and each time I would come up with a couple of jokes of my own, to mix in with his and in no time at all I was off and running.”
Once Jensen was “off and running” he developed a unique comedy style.
“I’d like to think that’s it’s fairly intelligent and honest, those are the two words that I’m most flattered to hear people use when they describe my comedy,” Jensen said.
Jensen is using an online program to fund his latest live comedy CD and DVD, “Cat’s Made of Rabbits.” Kickstarter, an online program where any artist from around the world can start their own creative project, is a new way to fund projects online, so it has the ability to spread quickly and virally around the web. But there is a catch. Kickstarter lives by the “all-or-nothing” mentality. If the artist does not raise their intended money goal by the expiration date, they see no money. In Jensen’s case if all $2,250 is not pledged by Friday, May 6 at 8:00 P.M. EDT.
“If I reached that last date and we haven’t met our goal then no one’s credit cards gets charged, Jensen said. “Everyone keeps their money.”
Despite the pressure to make his goal, one of the reasons that Jensen decided to choose Kickstarter was for the cover art work of the CD and DVD, which is a painting, taken from an animal rights show by Jacquelyn Bond. It is a creative piece of art work that shows naked bodies with rabbits heads applying make up.
“I had two labels that were looking at possibly releasing the album and the bigger one, the one that’s actually a corporate label, and soon as they saw it they were like, ‘No, no, no, absolutely not,” said Jensen over the phone while laughing. “It was kind of like being able to use that album cover is my consolation prize for not signing with a big label.”
Although Jensen has an urgent time limit, he views Kickstarter as a tool to help independent artists get their projects out there.
“It’s one more amazing way where the internet and social networking are powering individuals,” Jensen explained.
Although he is not signed with a major label, he had help from an independent label that is based in Citrus Heights California called, Apprehensive Films. His newest project,“Cats Made of Rabbits” was filmed and recorded live in California at an independent comedy club, the Sacramento Comedy Spot.
“And the truth is from watching other people’s Kickstarters, you raise a lot more in the last week when the urgency really is there,” Jensen added. “So the fact that we’re so on track now is actually a really good sign.”
And remember what you pay is what you get. Just $1 is the minimum amount to pledge and the sky is the limit on the maximum. Here are how some of the different dollar amounts vary:
- $1 or more Jensen will send his “undying love and gratitude.”
- $5 or more, an autographed photo of Jensen’s colon.
- $10 or more you can choose been Jensen’s 2009 comedy CD “To the Moon” or “Funnier Than God” a CD from a sketch group called “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Comedy.”
- $15 or more lands you the “Cats Made of Rabbits” CD.
- $25 or more, the “Cats Made of Rabbits” DVD.
- $35 or more gets you the “Cat’s Made Of Rabbits” DVD and CD.
- $45 or more, the “Cats Made of Rabbits” CD, DVD, and a copy of “To The Moon” CD
- $100 or more lands you the “super package” which includes “Cats Made of Rabbits” CD, DVD, the Double Plus Good Box set, one autographed promotional poster, and 2 VIP passes to any of Jensen’s live shows this year.
- $500 or more, includes 2 copies of “Cats Made of Rabbits” on CD and DVD, one Double Plus Good Box set, one autographed promotional poster, and 4 VIP passes to any of Jensen’s live shows this year. But if someone does pledge this much Jensen, who doesn’t “ really enjoy intoxication” promises to get drunk on camera just for you.
- $1,500 or more! This large sum includes; “Cats Made of Rabbits” CD, DVD, one Double Plus Good Box set, one autographed promotional poster, 2 VIP passes to any of Jensen’s live shows this year, and Jensen will perform a show for you at the venue of your choice.
Jensen not only hopes to raise the set goal but hopes to raise beyond that to help fund advertising and a comedy tour. Help make Keith’s dream a reality by visiting:
Check out the promo for Cats made of Rabbits, courtesy of kickstarter.com! NSFW
About the Author: Amy Serna is a journalism major at Sacramento State University. She loves comedy and she loves to write.