It’s the new year, but not just any new year. It’s 2012 and according to the Mayan’s calendar, we are not going to be happy campers come December. Whether it was the Mayan civilization’s intuition that the world is going to end, or simply that they were wiped out before having time to finish their prophetic calendar – the main point is that there are some freakin’ funny movies releasing in 2012!
Below are the top five up-and-coming funny flicks for 2012 with all the trailers!
5. The Dictator - Here we go again. Another one of Sacha Baron Cohen’s ridiculous visions to make America awkwardly uncomfortable. Paramount Pictures states that the film will, “tell the heroic story of a dictator who risked his life to ensure that democracy would never come to the country he so lovingly oppressed.” Baron Cohen will play the role of General Admiral Alladeen, a dictator from a country called the Republic of Wadiya. The truth is, this movie looks way more enticing to me than Borat or Bruno. Maybe it’s the way the trailer shows Cohen paying Megan Fox in jewels after a night of who knows what (although we’re pretty sure we know what). The whole concept of the film is far fetched and insulting…meaning I must see it! Release date: May 11.
4. The Three Stooges - The Farrelly Brothers have come together to recreate the silliness and slapstick humor of Curly, Moe, and Larry. The actors playing the famous three will be Chris Diamantopoulos, Sean Hayes and Will Sasso. According to IMBD, “While trying to save their childhood orphanage, Moe, Larry, and Curly inadvertently stumble into a murder plot and wind up starring in a reality TV show.” What can I say about this other than, it’s the Three Stooges, of course I want to see it! The film will be released April 13.
3. A Thousand Words - How am I supposed to laugh in a movie where Eddie Murphy barely speaks? I guess he’s about to prove some serious skills in his new film A Thousand Words. The story is about a man who finds that he only has a thousand words to say before he dies, thus he becomes quite frugal with his usually big mouth, making sure to not talk. He is put in serious situations where he fumbles to answer in any way other than actually speaking. This should be interesting to watch, since I’m almost positive I’ve never seen Eddie Murphy be quiet before. The theatrical release is March 23.
2. 21 Jump Street - Hollywood has taken numerous classics and butchered them. Will 21 Jump Street have the same fate as those unfortunate remakes? I hope not, seeing as stand-up comedian and actor Jonah Hill – who co-stars in the movie alongside Channing Tatum (Step Up, G.I. Joe) – actually wrote the script. The film is based on the television series of the same name which got actor Johnny Depp’s career started. Depp even confirmed his cameo appearance in the film. How can they go wrong? Theatrical release: March 16.
1. American Reunion - This is the fourth installment to the American Pie movies and the entire original cast will be participating! The plot looks quite simple: the class of 1999 returns to East Great Falls for their high school reunion. It may not be much, but if it’s anything like the old ones, it will be raunchy and lovable. Oh ya, did I forget to mention that “Jim’s dad” (Eugene Levy) may hook up with Stifler’s mom, the original MILF, Jennifer Coolidge? American Reunion is scheduled for theatrical release April 6, 2012.
Filed Under: Featured
About the Author: I have just graduated with a Bachelor's of Arts in English/Creative Writing and minor in Dance with the aspirations to become a young adult fiction writer! Of course, in my spare time I freakishly love cleaning, taking photographs, watching a good movie, dancing like a baboon and having a mad crush on Andy Samberg. I believe comedy is vital and am excited to be a part of AmericasComedy!